Are you seeking an editor for your novel/non-fiction book?
Contact me for a chat and a free one-hour sample edit!
What I offer:
When I’m asked to edit other authors’ books, they generally ask for a ‘bit of everything’ edit – so that’s what I do. This includes:
- Comments and suggestions on structure, character development, and areas which could be strengthened, e.g. chapter endings, use of direct rather than reported speech
- Full copy-editing, covering spelling, grammar, word repetition, and inconsistencies in syntax
- Line editing, looking at style, word choices, redundant sentences, tone, and inconsistencies in character/plot
- Proofreading as I go
What I edit:
First of all, I edit in British English only, because that’s what I speak and write.
I specialise in mystery, crime, thriller, contemporary fiction, humorous fiction and non-fiction, since I read all these and consider I have a more complete knowledge of how they work structurally. I also read and write Victorian historical fiction, so I’d be happy to edit that too. If you’re not sure whether your book fits within my editing scope, please do contact me for a chat.
What you can expect:
As I do an all-in-one type edit, I charge a flat rate of £16 per hour.
Once you’ve contacted me, and hopefully sent me the first few thousand words of your manuscript via email, I will do a 1-hour sample edit within the next few days. This will be done electronically in Word or Pages using Track Changes, so that you can see exactly what I’ve done and choose whether to accept or reject my amendments. I will also, on the basis of that hour’s work, provide an estimate of how many hours’ work it would take me to edit the whole manuscript, and the total cost.
If you decide to proceed with the edit, we’ll agree timescales and payment terms at that point. I only edit one book at a time so that I can focus on it properly, so my availability may depend on what else I have booked in. However, I would expect to turn a 80,000-word book around in 2 weeks. If you need an edit doing ASAP, I may be able to accommodate you: but this will incur an additional charge.
Why choose me to edit your book?
- I’m very clear about what I do and don’t edit. I won’t take on an editing assignment outside my skillset, so if I do a sample edit for you and I don’t think I’m the right fit, I’ll be honest about it.
- While I’m a nice person (of course), I’m also picky. I’m the sort of person who notices errors in traditionally-published books. I WILL pick up typos, wrong words, anachronisms, clunky sentences, and inconsistencies.
- I have gained experience not just through editing my own fiction, but also during my former career in the corporate side of the NHS. I was *that* person who proofed documents, double-checked newsletters, rewrote reports to get the main points into half the space…and now you can benefit from that!
- As of April 2020, I’ve written and published ten novels and co-written six more, as well as novellas, novelettes, and short stories. I also read widely and have a degree in English Language and Literature and a master’s degree in Victorian Literature. I know about books!