This is a new service specially tailored to first-time NaNoWriMo participants and new writers.
The basic concept is that you get an experienced pair of eyes on the opening of your novel, plus actionable tips to help you make progress with revising and self-editing your work.
If you’re interested, contact me for a chat!
What do you mean, a first-look edit?
Basically, you send me the first part of your manuscript. This could be after you’ve tidied it up or done a first edit, if you prefer. If you like, you can send me a synopsis or summary too.
- Spend an hour reading it and making notes
- Give you feedback in the form of a report emailed to you. If you prefer, I could give feedback via a half-hour Zoom call instead of a written report
Feedback will include observations on the opening of your novel, characterisation, your character arc(s) so far, structure, pacing, plot, style, and whether your book meets genre expectations. If applicable, I’ll also suggest ways to strengthen how you write.
NB: while I may point out any repeated errors in grammar or punctuation, I will not make changes or corrections to your manuscript.
Basically, this is a shortened or taster version of the Manuscript Development Report service I offer.
My charge for a first-look edit is currently £36. This will rise to £38 from April 1, 2023.
Why book this service?
- You’ll get actionable tips on several different aspects of your writing
- As someone unfamiliar with your book (who isn’t a friend or relative!), I have the emotional distance to spot what’s good and also what needs work
- My report will help you to save time by highlighting issues and suggesting how to work on them, recommending further resources if appropriate
- My advice will also help you to save money by reducing future editing time. You’ll be able to tackle some of the editing work yourself and apply these insights to the rest of your book
- Mine may be the first pair of eyes on your work (other than yours!) and I undertake to be discreet
- This is a no-obligation service. You don’t have to book an edit with me, or anything else!
- You’ve spent hours writing your novel. Don’t be afraid to invest in it!